Brown Rice Aval Payasam / Kheer
Even before Brown rice was marketed across globe as superfood our ancestors had them in their staple diet. So how is brown rice a healthier choice than white rice and why brown rice is considered healthy. Brown rice is a whole grain rice with the inedible outer hull removed and keeping the bran layer and germ intact and in the case of the white rice the hull,bran and germ is removed.
Brown rice is loaded with minerals and the fibre content is good which makes brown rice a healthier choice than white rice. I have combined brown rice, rice flakes and coconut milk to prepare a healthy dessert.
- 1/2 cup soaked Brown rice
- 1 cup cane sugar powdered
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon powder
- 3 Cardamom pods
- To fry Aval (Brown rice flakes)
- 1/2 cup Brown rice flakes
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- To garnish
- 1/2 tablespoon Ghee
- 6 Cashew nuts
- 6 Raisins
- Wash1/2 cup of brown rice thoroughly and soak the brown rice in lukewarm water for about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Cook the brown rice in 3 cups of water and once the brown rice is cooked well ,add powdered cane sugar and stir thoroughly using a spatula.
- Add cinnamon powder, cardamom and coconut milk and cook it in low flame, stirring it continuously for 5 minutes.Put down the flame and allow the cooked mixture to cool.
- Meanwhile,take a frying pan and heat it in medium flame and then add ghee to the the hot pan. Roast the cashew nuts and raisins in the frying pan without burning them.
- Garnish it with ghee fried raisins and cashews.
- Try this easy to make healthy dessert and relish them with your loved ones