Kalonji Aloo Fry / Nigella Potato Fry
Nigella... I have never seen this wonder seed in my mom's kitchen till date. My encounter with the seed came during my search to reduce toxins and allergies from the body naturally. It is basically used for tempering and it is a part of panch phoran masala in bengali cuisine
- 1/2 teaspoon powder Kalonji (nigella seeds)
- 2 Onions (medium, finely chopped)
- 400gms Aloo (potatoes, diced)
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 table spoon Ginger garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 1&1/2 teaspoon Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Carom seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Nigella seeds
- one sprig Curry leaves
- Chop onions, dice cut the potatoes and keep it aside.
- Take kadai/frying pan, pour oil to the pan over a medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds, after they crackle add carrom seeds. Once they turn brown add nigella seeds (do not overheat )
- Add curry leaves & chopped onions, stir it, add ginger garlic paste saute them in medium flame.
- Add potates and turmeric powder and salt to taste. Close it with a lid for 10 minutes, add pepper powder, red chilli powder and kalonji powder. Saute them and cook it in low flame till it is cooked, stirring it occassionally.