Malvani Mutton Masala
- Non Vegetarian
This Diwali I decided for a Chef Inspired Diwali and chose to cook Malvani Mutton Masala from my Favourite Michelin Starred Chef Vikas Khanna recipes from his book My Great India Cookbook. I have changed quantities of certain ingredients as per my requirement of flavor and spiciness. I have fresh grated coconut instead of dried coconut and Shahijeera instead of Caraway Seeds as well as using my favorite oil- Coconut oil.
- Malvani Masala:
- ½ cup fresh grated coconut
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 10 dried red chillies
- 2 tablespoon of Coriander seeds.
- 5 cloves
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon shahi jeera
- 4 pods green cardamom
- 3 pods black cardamom
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Other Ingredients:
- 500 kg Mutton
- 4 Tablespoon Coconut oil
- 3 finely chopped onions
- 1 & ½ tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste.
- Roast the grated fresh coconut till light brown or golden and keep it aside.
- In the same frying pan, pour 1 tbsp oil, lightly roast the spices of malvani masala without burning and allow it to cool down.
- Combine both the roasted coconut and spices to make a coarse paste.
- Pour oil in a frying pan in medium heat,sauté chopped onions till light brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and mutton pieces and stir them nicely.
- Add turmeric powder and add the grounded masala paste.
- Add two and a half cups of water and slow cook them till meat is tender. Stir them occasionally till the gravy thickens. This delicious mutton masala can be had with roti or rice.
- Note: Mutton can pressure cooked for two whistles before step 5.