Spicy Prawn Masala
- Non Vegetarian
Prawns or Shrimps as they are called in many parts of the world are the favourite choice among seafood lovers.Prawns can be grilled,pan fried and also made into gravies.Prawns need to be cooked with perfection till it is soft, and if you overcook them they can be really chewy. Prawns are not considered kosher which means their consumption is not allowed for Jews according to Jewish laws of kashrut. Among sea food, Prawns are high in calcium and contain other minerals like iodine, sodium, phosphorous and zinc. Prawns are a rich source of Omega 3 fatty acids and they can be cooked to make spicy gravies,crispy starters and in some countries they are pickled and preserved for further use.
- 500 gms cleaned Prawns
- 2 Onions chopped
- 1 Tomato finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil/edible oil
- 1 sprig of Curry leaves
- Remove the shells and de-vein the prawns and clean them thoroughly.
- In a bowl marinate the cleaned prawns using coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, ginger garlic paste, cumin powder and required salt for 30 minutes to 60 minutes.
- Take a wok or a cooking vessel, pour 3 tbsp of coconut oil and add chopped onions once the oil is hot.
- Stir the onions till light brown and add curry leaves
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute till they are soft .
- Add the marinated prawns and using a lid close the prawns and cook them in medium flame for 5 minutes.Add Black pepper powder and stir thoroughly.
- Remove the lid and cook the prawns for another 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Photo credit: kitchensizzler gallery