Wheat chocolate tarts
In my quest to bake with wheat flour and cereal based ingredients instead of the refined plain flour I tried my hand at baking these easy to make tartlets.Last week I was invited to dine in one of the Italian restaurants in town by one of my friends and to our sweet delight desserts ruled the dinner.The dark chocolate filled tarts infused with a right amount of dark rum was the winner of the dessert race.
This delicacy melted in our mouth which made me to bake these whole wheat tarts with chocolate filling.A tart is a baked dish consisting of a filling over a pastry base basically a short crust pastry which can be either sweet or savoury based.Fruit tarts are trending and people welcome them with happy hands on their dessert table.
- For the short crust pastry
- 1 & ¼ cups Whole wheat flour
- 60 gms Butter(Chilled)
- 2 tablespoon Cane sugar
- Cold water ( as required)
- For the filling
- 125 gms Dark chocolate
- 3 tbsp Instant/porridge oats
- 1 cup Milk
- In a large bowl, sift the flour and salt and add the butter and sugar.
- Rub the butter and flour to bread crumb texture using your fingers.Knead the dough lightly using little water
- Cover the dough using a cling film and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into ¼ inch thickness.Working with one piece of dough at a time , use a 3 inch cookie cutter and cut out 12 rounds.Transfer the round sheet on to to each mini tart moulds .Using your fingers ,press the pastry to fit into tart moulds.
- Preheat the oven to 180 c.Bake the mini tarts to 20 minutes.Allow them to cool before the filling.
for the filling
- Cook the oats in milk for 3 to 5 minutes and pour them over dark chocolate chunks to make ganache filling.
- Fill tart mould with chocolate filling and chill it in refrigerator before relishing this delicious dessert
- Photo credit : foodnetwork.com